Re: Throttle return springs

To: Edward Hamilton <hamilton@ptd.net>
Subject: Re: Throttle return springs
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 1998 04:09:01 -0400
Cc: Spitfire Mail List <spitfires@Autox.Team.Net>, Triumphs Mail List <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Edward Hamilton wrote:

> I shall be installing the 1-1/2" SU's on my 1500 spit this week end.  In
> getting my stuff together, I find that I am missing the throttle return
> springs.  All of my reference materials (catalogs) deal with spitfires
> and, as such, don't speak to HS4's -- since they didn't appear on North
> American cars.

  You can really use generic springs, even the ones you would
order from a supplier are likely some generic item that were
deemed acceptable.

  Try to avoid using a higher-than-necessary spring tension, that
is one that pulls a lot harder than is needed to safely retract
the throttle.

  Reason being, the sideways pull on the throttle shaft caused
by the spring is the chief cause of the SU-killing "throttle
shaft wear". Extra-heavy springs will accelerate this wear.

--
Trevor Boicey, Ottawa, Canada.
tboicey@brit.ca, http://www.brit.ca/~tboicey/