RE: carb to injection conversion TR6

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: carb to injection conversion TR6
From: Gernot Vonhoegen <gernot.vonhoegen@stir.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 15:10:46 +0100

> my car is a 74 left hooker
>
> What do you mean by 'hooker'.  One should be careful when using such
> words
> around us Yanks.  I've called my car many things, but never a hooker.
> Maybe on second thought, it's closer to the truth!

Ah well, once you get stuck somewhere in the mmiddle of nowhere you
start callling your car all sort of names. Apart from that it doesn't
have a proper name.

> a) what else do I need apart form a high pressure pump.
>                petrol tank? blanking plug for mechanical pump?
>                different throttle linkage?
>
> You will need a fuel filter, you can make modifications to a carb
> petrol
> tank for the fuel return from the metering unit and the outlet pipe to
> the
> fuel filter.  I had to do this because my original tank was beyond
> repair.

Can I use a diesel (derv.) filter? They are sort of readily available
s/h including filters and so on. Pressure should be ok, only point I can
think of would be originality, but hey...
As to the fuel return, what speaks against using the line that goes back
in for both returns? Is the capacity too low? I thought one of the lines
is for the metering unit return and the other for the pump safety valve.
If I fit a pressure regulator there should not be anything to return
shouldn't it?

> b) what do I need to check the system for while it is out? I checked
> the
> throttle linkage for wear but there is no play whatsoever. Can I take
> the injectors apart and clean them or whatsoever and if so how, same
> applies to the metering unit.
>
> I would recommend having the metering unit checked out be a
> professional.
> There are a few people on this list who adjust their own metering unit
> and
> may offer you assistance in this effort.
Yup, I had a look in the manual and have a rough idea of what they are
talking about though it looks fairly crude to me.

> Injectors can be checked once the engine is running
What method do people use, the pulse check on the injector pipes or the
"take the things out and let petrol srpay all over the rest of the car"
method?
> .
> c) I suspect that it is a 130 bhp system coming from a saloon or
> estate,
> anything I need to change and how do I see if its this, may be part
> number for the inlet manifolds?
> One way to check for early (150 bhp) injections is look for the number
> of
> rubber vacuum lines connecting the intakes.  If you have only one you
> have
> the early; later versions had two vacuum lines connecting the intakes.
> Also, I believe the later metering units had a green plastic cover on
> top.
> All else is about the same.
It has twin vacuum pipes but a black top on the metering unit. That
means that the inlet manifolds are late, any way of checking the
metering unit is correct?

> You should be using a dual pipe exhaust manifold or equivalent.
I have a choice of a twin cast or a tubular, as I fitted the tubular
already I think I'll stick with it.

> These were some of the major points I could think of.  Other list
> members
> who are more familiar with the PI system will most likely be offering
> their
> assistance.
>
> Good luck

Thanks so far,Gernot