Re: CC 29060

To: <spitlist@gte.net>
Subject: Re: CC 29060
From: "jonmac" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 20:39:37 +0100
Cc: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
>When I was over in England with the USAF in the early 70's,
>many of the GI's bought TR6's because they were so inexpensive there
>considering there was no tax levied on visiting military personnel.  As
>I recall, there were more military types driving TR's than the local
>folks.

'S right, Joe. US Spec 6's were as common as secondhand popcorn - you could
hear them coming all over East Anglia. What you didn't hear so often were
the one's "the local folks" preferred. Uncle Sam legislated against you
buying those, but you've got to admit - they were a teeny bit better and a
lot faster, sexier, more fault prone and they had about another 40 odd
brake horsepower which was quite handy around the traffic lights of
Lakenheath and Alconbury. In Berkeley Square days, we used to call that
general area 'piddle country' - 'cos that's what we used to do with our
PI's against your Carb versions. Didn't do much to cement Anglo-American
relations as I recall.

I don't think us "local folks" were SO badly done by?

John Mac

http://www.toolbox.ndirect.co.uk/triumphbook
This is THE BOOK in which even MORE "Life At Triumph" stories appear
And a MASSIVE CHUNK of entirely NEW material
The book is looking for Sales Agents globally
Become one and earn yourself (or your CLUB) some useful incremental funds!
ORDER LINE STAYS OPEN UNTIL SEPTEMBER 30, 1998
The book will NOT be available from shops - only from the Author and Agents

http://www.toolbox.ndirect.co.uk/plates
Give your Triumph "The Coventry Look"