Re: Starter Box Assemblys

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Starter Box Assemblys
From: peb3@cornell.edu (Philip E. Barnes)
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 13:01:00 -0400
Cc: Bud_Rolofson@nps.gov
Bud:
I will answer all your questions in a general fashion. First, keep in mind
that any car you consider will almost certainly have had multiple owners,
all of which have had an opportunity to "fix" the car. Most of these people
will not have had a clue as to what they were doing, will have made a small
problem into a big one and become discouraged or angry at the car and sold
it. The next owner probably added to this legacy of confusion. What you
ultimately will be presented with is some mechanical archeology project.
This list is the primary source for setting things straight, along with any
printed manual you can find. Stay tuned...

I will probably start a fire-storm with this, but there are no "good' or
"bad" years for the TR6. I happen to favor the early (CCXXXXXX) cars. The
emission systems are simpler and they are not encumbered with the rubber
bumpers. Just my opinion. They are a bit harder to find in good shape,
unfortunately. There are some parts for each range which are NLA. (Early
headlight switches, front and rear bumpers, late thermo-switches, etc.) The
car you are looking at, from what you describe, seems to need attention,
but not much. Stay away from rusty cars, if you can.

Phil Barnes (peb3@cornell.edu)
'71 TR6  CC61193L (21 year owner)

There is absolutely no substitute for a genuine lack of preparation.