Back to the Wiring Questions

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Back to the Wiring Questions
From: "Roger Berggren" <e_red@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 1998 10:11:28 PDT
Tim,
    Okay now we are in trouble.  What is the Chasis number on your car?
I have a number of wiring diagrams for the late model Spits and would be
happy to fax or mail you a copy.  Looks like you have some good
questions.  Some of them I would like to know the answer.
     I do not have any White and blue wires at all.  The only thing I
have to the Distibuter is the Blue and red wires from the Ignition AMP.
You know what else is funny is that I have the White and Pink wire
Ballast resistor wire not connected to anything.
     Remember my 95% sure???  I just dropped to 40%.

Roger,

I think I'll take you up on your offer to describe your ignition wiring.
Mine appears to be a little different from the diagram in my Haynes
manual, but my car is a little later than the last one shown there.
Yours may be different too, but I'd like to get a comparison.  First,
my manual shows a pink/white wire and a yellow/white wire joined and
connected to the left side of the solenoid.  Also it shows a red/white
wire and an orange/white wire joined and connected to the right side
of the solenoid.  On my car these two connections are reversed; yellow/
white on the right and red/white on the left.  That yellow/white
wire at the solenoid enters the harness and then exits it near the
coil.  I think that yellow/white should connect to coil positive, but it
carries 12v with the ignition on instead of 6v.  So one of my questions
is, should the ballast resistance wire be in that section of the harness
between the solenoid and the coil?  It doesn't seem to be, but I have
just bought a ballast resistor for a new sport coil and plan to place
it between the yellow/white wire and coil positive.  There are also
two black/white wires which exit the harness near the coil and are
connected together at coil negative.  The drive resistor is down near
the alternator and is connected to a blue/white wire on one side
and a white wire on the other.  Does this sound anything like yours?

Why don't you have the drive resistor connected?  I thought it was a
must.  And I guess you don't need your ballast resistor if you have
an internally resisted coil.  My understanding of the coil comes largely
from a correspondence with Charlie Brown (on this list) who said the
following.  Normally, the 6v coil on a Spit gets 6v while the ignition
is on because the 12v is cut down to 6 or 7v by the ballast resistor.
However, on startup the ballast reisistor is bypassed to provide 12v
to the coil momentarily for a stronger spark.

Tim Gaines
'80 Spit 1500