re Rocker Arm Feed Kit

To: "Triumphs List" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: re Rocker Arm Feed Kit
From: "Chris Leah" <crl@intekom.co.za>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 1998 12:13:56 +0200charset="iso-8859-1"
With regard to the recent thread on the rocker oil feed kit,I have one of
these kits from Moss UK fitted to my Spitfire. Runs from a union on the oil
pressure switch to a threaded hole at the back left corner of the head.
I fitted this as is and have experienced some oil leakage from the push rod
tubes as fitted to the Mk1/Mk2 heads. Our local club expert told me that the
unit allows too much oil to be delivered to the rockers as the oil passage
via this feed kit is about 4mm diameter up to the hole in the head. He feels
that there is also a danger of reducing the oil supply to the main bearings
with all this oil flowing to the rockers via this feed. He did feel that the
rockers need additional oil and recommended filling the 4mm hole in the
banjo bolt that fits to the head by brazing a brass plug into the hole and
then redrilling it to 1mm diameter hole.
I have done this and certainly the amount of leakage at the push rod tubes
has been reduced.
Whether or not this modification that I've done has eliminated any benefits
of the oil feed kit, I wouldn't know. My gut feel says no, but I am not an
engine expert. Maybe some of the guru's out there would like to comment?
Chris Leah
Durban, South Africa
1966 Spitfire Mk2
1960 Herald (Newly acquired)