Re: Brake fluid ffor TR3A

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Brake fluid ffor TR3A
From: "Brad Kahler" <Brad.Kahler@141.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 22:33:18 -0600
Gary, I just finished a frame off restoration on my 64 spitfire and
elected to use the Dot 5 (silicone fluid).  It is harder to bleed but
not hard enough to warrant not using it.  It is the most friendly
brake fluid you can use for protecting your paint.  If I had to do it
over again I would still use Dot 5.  I'm sure you'll get other
using it in my TR4A when I get it done.  I'll probably even use it in
my 51 dodge truck, although I will do some on road testing to see how
well that super heavy truck stops.  Just as a safety test.  I've had
to make some pretty rapid stops in my spit and the brakes felt just
fine.

> I'm a newbe to this information exchange method, so forgive me if I
> am asking a question that has already been answered.  I am in the
> process of doing a frame up restoration on a TR3A.  This is my first
> attempt at any kind of restoration.  I have sandblasted and painted
> all of the frame,rebuilt the front suspension, calipers, clutch and
> brake master cylinder, and now the rear brake cylinders have just
> arrived, and I am almost done with the brake lines. My question is,
> " What grade brake fluid is correct, DOT 3, 4, 5 ? "
>
> Regards,
> Gary Bouffard
> TR3A  TS58399

Brad  (Lincoln Nebraska 402-464-1502)

1964 Spitfire4            BFC25720L (In "Teething" Mode right now)
1966 TR4A                CT72398L (Waiting for garage space to start teardown)
1951 Dodge Truck    82217766  B-3-B-108 (Suspension just about ready to install)