NJTA's "A Touch of England" show in Westwood

To: Scions of Stanpart <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>, Scions of the Spitfire <spitfires@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: NJTA's "A Touch of England" show in Westwood
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 1998 19:53:10 -0400 (EDT)
I just got back home about 40 minutes ago from the New Jersey Triumph
Association's "A Touch of England" car show in Westwood, NJ. It was an
easy and not too warm drive (I apologize to you all for further harming
the ozone layer; the Freon seems to be totally gone from the Explorer's
AC system) from upstate New York, accompanied by fellow lister/Spitfire
owner/ long-time friend Clark Nicholls.

I'm guessing there were nearly 70 LBC's of all types in a charming little
park in the middle of Westwood. Notables included an adorable 1930 Morris
Seven(?) saloon; a whitewall-tired, Judson Supercharger-equipped, black
MGA 1500 roadster that perfectly matched the accompanying framed Judson
magazine advertisement; a gorgeous white Sabre roadster; the usual
collection of Bugeyes, Minis, an early Lotus Elan, T-series MGs, A-H
100-6s and 3000s, TR3As, 4s, 6s and Spitfires; and, of course, Bill
Kelly's nearly reassembled '62 Herald 1200 convertible looking wonderful
in new black paint!

As always, it's great finally to put faces to a number of names on these
lists -- Art Kelly, Bill Smith, Phil Barnes, Atwell Haines, Ed Hamilton
and show organizer Jack Brooks -- as well as to see again folks such as
Jim Holewka and Bill Kelly. (Apologies if I left anyone out -- it was a
hot day and I'm still doing Diet Cokes to catch up on fluids!)

The weather threatened only very briefly, but rain held off for Clark and
me until about 20 miles south of Albany, NY, on the NYS Thruway. At that
point, the rain came down so hard that about 85% of the northbound
traffic pulled off to the side to wait out the storm (possibly the only
part of the trip during which I was just as content NOT to be in a Triumph).

Hats off to Jack Brooks and the rest of the NJTA for a great show, and
thanks to Jack and family for the quick, improptu post-show gathering at
his house for us CyberTriumphal folk! I hope to keep this show on my list
of shows to visit again next year.

--Andy