Transmission woes

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Transmission woes
From: "Robert Van and Ann Cross" <vancross@visuallink.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 1998 12:47:56 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"

To All You Mechanical Gurus,
I NEED HELP!!!!    My TR3A is being very very contrary.  Two weeks ago, as I
pulled into the driveway, I heard a clicking noise coming from the area of
the transmission/front universal joint.  Upon further investigation I noted
the following:
1. the clicking occurs in 1st and reverse, no clicking in 2nd,3rd, or 4th.
2. the clicking stops when the clutch is engaged or the gearshift is pulled
to neutral position.
3. the clicking increases as the speed increases.
I replaced the universal joints in the hope that it may be that.
Unfortunately, It appears to be in the transmission which I know nothing
about.  Has this happened to anyone else out there?  If so, What is your
advice?

Thanks for your Help,
Bob Van
1960 TR3a TS56408L