Re: Should a '73 TR6 Have Bumper Overriders???

To: "Richard A. Radasch" <miles@anet-stl.com>, "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Should a '73 TR6 Have Bumper Overriders???
From: Rodney Orr <rodney@mindoro.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 1998 22:55:41 -0600
Richard,
Congrats on the 'new' car - feels good huh?  I'm sure you'll get many
more-authoritative replies on the rubber bumpers, but I always thought they
were from '74  [741/2 actually, CF27001, built in Aug. '74].

Your  car could be a January '73 build date - as you said, the first '73
calendar year car built was CF4029U.  It was built on Jan. 2, '73, though
(NB: d/m/y used in Piggott's book).  As a rough estimate, they averaged
nearly 1,000 cars/mo in '73.
Rod. '70 TR6  CC55899L

At 22:36 17-06-98 -0500, Richard A. Radasch wrote:

>About six weeks ago, after waiting patiently for 20 years, I bought a TR6.
 It's beautiful, runs well, and has mostly minor problems that I, as a
total amateur, feel I can deal with.  Good things come to those who wait.
But I have an authenticity question.

>The car is a 1973 model, built in January of 1973, but it has the rubber
bumper overriders.  The previous owner told me another PO had added them to
the car because he liked them.  It was my understanding that the overriders
didn't come along until 1974.  Many sources have confirmed this in print.

>But recently I've seen several photos in books with "1973 TR6" as the
caption with the overriders?!?!  Most convincing was a Triumph sales
brochure I saw on eBay for a 1973 TR6 sporting the overriders.

>I checked "The Original TR" by Bill Piggott  which shows the overriders
being added after CF 27001.  My car is CF 4981 U, but here the confusion
deepens.  "The Original TR" states that first car build in 1973 was CF 4029
U, and it was built on 2/1/1973.  How can I have CF 4981 U built in
January! of that year??