RE: TR6 - Proper oil for overdrive gearbox

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: TR6 - Proper oil for overdrive gearbox
From: "Hooper, Mark" <Hooper@alex.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 1998 00:48:46 -0400
Oh Nooo !!!:

The great oil debate starts again!

I too have an overdrive (A-type) in a TR6. I too was perplexed about
the situation. Thinking that 90 was great I went to the local very
experienced and ancient TR guy for advice. Chris Hollum (Montreal's
Mini maniac, but great in all other marques too, showed me the fax he
had received from LaycockdeNormanville wherein they swore up and down
that one should never use 90 weight as it would cause the components
of the unit to work slowly and wear rapidly. He hasd so disbelieved
them that he called the firm and talked for an hour trying to verify
this story. They recommended racing 20W50 motor oil for a transmission
containing one of their overdrives. Thus that is what I use (Valvoline
Racing 20W50). I am in a high state of nerves waiting to see if all
will work out, but it's been a year so I guess we are surviving...

Mark Hooper
hooper@alex.com