tr3a resto, #1

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: tr3a resto, #1
From: donp@ncweb.com (don pikovnik)
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 1998 06:47:58 -0400 (EDT)
To all list members,

Well, my adventure has begun. TS59418, or what's left of it, is in my
garage awaiting a frame-up restoration. I had it flatbedded over on
Saturday of Memorial Day Weekend. My father owned the car and I learned to
drive on it 25 yrs ago. It's been sitting in a shed for the last 20. It has
56K original miles on the clock.

So far, I've removed the following:

Hardtop, lights/trim, hood/trunk lids, doors, fenders, front apron, fuel
tank, transmission cover, rear half of body (from "A" pillars back). I have
removed the front body mounting bolts, but still need to disconnect
brake/clutch MC's, pedals, etc. before lifting front body section off. It
looks like the front valences come with the scuttle and tub?

As far as the body is concerned, rust has definitely taken its toll. Beyond
repair: A & B pillars, inner/outer rockers, floorboards, outer dogleg both
sides, lr frnder, trunk floor.  Repairable:  inner doglegs, frt bulkhead,
frt valences, frt fenders. OK: Hood/trunk lids, doors, hardtop

Since removing the rear half of body, I've discovered some damage to the

I've been developing a budget based on what I discover during disassembly.
My hope is to do all the work myself, and acquire the skills and tools to
do so as I go. I am completely inexperienced with the bodywork and frame
repairs. I'll need to learn to weld and form sheet metal. I have  visited
the website of a company called TM Technologies (www.tinmantech.com) who
sell tools and supplies for shaping and welding sheet metal, including
how-to video tapes and hands-on workshops. Does anyone have any experience
with them?

That's all for now. I hope to post reports on my progress as a way to share
what I learn as I go. I also welcome anyone's comments and suggestions.

Yours truly,

Don Pikovnik