TR4A Rear Brake Backplate/Pistons

To: Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR4A Rear Brake Backplate/Pistons
From: Ct54531@aol.com
Date: Sun, 7 Jun 1998 16:00:43 EDT
To the list:

I have the body off the frame on my 65 TR4A  (live axle) and am just going
through a thorough cleaning of everything. Now - I'm not making false claims
as to youth but this is the first time I've dealt with drum brakes. I'm
familiar with the system but I've never had occasion to be in there. My
confusion - hence my question - is  caused by the figure on page 181 of the
Haynes manual,. First of all, as you look at the figure, the piston is on the
right and the adjuster is on the left. But - the arrow along the top says the
"direction of forward rotation" is counterclockwise. Huh? Is that right. In my
car, on both wheels the piston is on the side toward the front of the car. Am
I just being dense? Does the reference to direction mean something else that
I'm not grasping. If that figure is a picture of the driver's side, the piston
and adjuster are reversed on my car (i.e. - rotation direction would in that
case be correct but on my driver's side, the piston is on the left and the
adjuster is on the right.
Also, on both wheels of my car, the piston is upside down in contrast to the
Haynes illustration - i.e. - the dust cover is on top and the body is on the
bottom in mine.  How come? Does it matter?
Now, it occurs to me that if somewhere back in time, someone reversed the
backplates and what should be on the driver's side was put on the passenger's,
then that would necessitate putting the piston in upside down.
Anyway, does it sound like the backplates were reversed - and, again - does it
matter?
But even if they were, while that answers my question about the pistons, it
doesn't address why the figure seems to have the "direction of forward
rotation" going to the rear - if it does. Because the pistons HAVE to be on
the side toward the front of the car because that's where the handbrake lever
comes in. Right?
(Does any of this make any sense? And, no, I wasn't hitting the Molson's while
I watched the Canadian Grand Prix)
Anyway, can someone offer their explanation of this and offer an opinion on
what, if anything - needs to be changed. Now's the time to do it with more
access than I'll (hopefully) ever have again.
As always, TIA.

                                                                    JMac
                                                                     CT54531