Gas in Vacuum Advance Unit

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Gas in Vacuum Advance Unit
From: Triumph_TR4@ridgecrest.ca.us (Darrell Leach)
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 1998 18:37:00 -0700
Posted-date: Tue, 2 Jun 1998 18:32:26 -0700 (PDT)
To the Triumphant Collective:

Everytime I remove the vacuum advance line (from carb to distributor) on
my 1962 TR-4, I find the vacuum advance dashpot full of fuel.  I am at a
loss as to why this is happening.

The carbs are original H6's.  OK, not the original to the car but H6's
non the less.  The originals are on the bench, ready for a rebuild, but
I think they exhibited the same quirk.

This is the second distributor and vacuum unit for the car this year, I
converted the backup dist to electronic ignition, and it is the one in the
car currently (no pun etc.).  Both vacuum units showed gas in them.

Things I have checked:

1.  The vacuum line is the original metal and does have a loop going up
over the thermostat housing.  This loop is higher than most of the carb,
including the carb throat were the vacuum is picked off.

2.  The car does not appear to be back-firing any.  But there is a slight
healthy, happy, burble on engine breaking at times.

Can anyone think of anything else I should check?  Better yet, has anyone
seen this before and corrected it?  Or, is this one of the unexpected gifts,
included at no extra charge, often found with these vehicles?

TIA and So Long,

Darrell Leach,   KD6LRC   DM-15,   Ridgecrest, Ca
  email: Triumph_TR4@ridgecrest.ca.us
         http://www.ridgecrest.ca.us/~token/PAGE1.html
1962 TR-4 (CT5368LO)  Everyday
1962 TR-4 (CT13108L)
1965 Spitfire Mk 2
1967 Spitfire Mk 3   In work, lots of 1500 stuff
Keeper of the TR-4 List, Version 2.0 availible.