TR3 peg and cam steering shim help

To: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: TR3 peg and cam steering shim help
From: dwillner@icontech.com (dave willner)
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 1998 21:13:26 -0400 (EDT)
I recently acquired about 5"-6" of play in the steering on my TR3. I just
had the tie rods and tie rod ends replaced, and had it aligned to spec. It
seems to have eliminated most of the play, about 4"-5", but there still
seems to be about 1"-2" left.

Looking through the Haynes manual it suggests a way to adjust the cam and
peg steering by removing or adding shims behind the cover plate. Should I
start by removing an existing shim, or adding a .0025 and gradually
increasing it? Is there an easy way, or a logical process to follow here?
What is end float and will that take care of the play in the steering or is
this a totaly unrelated adjustment to the play in the wheel?

Any help or advice by anyone who has gone thru this with good results would
be greatly appreciated.

Thanks much!

Dave Willner
TR3A TS65107