Re: Gaydon, WOW!

To: Peter Gillis <pgillis@cosmedia.ie>
Subject: Re: Gaydon, WOW!
From: William Davies <w.davies@virgin.net>
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 1998 21:19:18 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
> Hi Peter and all listers,

       My favourite comment of the weekend (from a lad of about 20 to his
dad),    "Wow, look. A courier Van. There's only about 10 of those left"
As he walked off in the direction we had just come from he would have
passed right by another! I didn't have the heart to tell him how many
really are left!

> In fairness to jonmac's crew they did a great job.
> 2 Howevers however
> I thought there could have been a better attendance by dealers at the
> autojumble eg. certainly as far as I could see John Kipping didn't have
> a stand.

I met John there, I suspect he suffered in the same way as many others as
there was a very limited space allocated for traders and jumblers. I
enquired regarding an autojumble stand and was told all spaces were booked
(this was around 3 weeks before the event). On the other hand, if I was
John K, I certainly wouldn't want to spoil such a great day by having to
work!

> Secondly with well over 10000 members in the TSSC aloneone would
> have thought that there infact should have been a bigger attendance.
> All this aside roll on 2023!!

I was incredibly impressed by the whole event. Having said that, there were
an awful lot of people who I know didn't attend, and I can't understand
why. My TSSC area (Swindon) goes to all the major events in convoy, those
of us who did go to Gaydon seemed to meet up more by chance than planning!
    Still, I must say I had a terriffic day out (but a cold Saturday
evening - we didn't go for the meal, and we didn't know there was another
bar open!), and I even picked up some rather rare parts for the 59 Coupe,
especially around 50 of the little rivets that hold the rubber wheelarch
curtains on the bonnet of the 1959 cars!
    Finally, did anyone notice the table covering on Dave Gleeds trade
stand (if you don't know him, his stand is the one with all the trays of
odd fittings and rubbers - sorry Dave, best way I can describe it!)? It was
made from the covers which were on the first Herald at the 1959 Motor Show
before the new car was unveiled! Now THATS what you get for working at
Standard-Triumph!
    Regards,
        Bill.

--
                            This Message sent by:
=====U==============U=====  1966 Herald 1200 Convertible
\________________________/  1970 Herald 13/60 Saloon
 | |                  | |   1959 Standard Atlas Pickup
 |_|                  |_|   1972 Spitfire MkIV