Re: Changing U joints Drive Shaft

To: Monte DeCarlo <mdecarlo@us.ibm.com>, TR List <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Changing U joints Drive Shaft
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 1998 09:52:32 -0400
Monte DeCarlo  writes:

> Is it neccesary to pull the exhaust to remove the drive shaft?
>
>  Monte DeCarlo
>  Client Manager Price Waterhouse
>  813-872-2151      t/l 562-2151

Depends.  What year is your car?  Do you have a single pipe
exhaust or a dual?  Does your car have overdrive?

Exhaust systems are best left undisturbed.  The pipes get
brittle from the heat and if you do separate them they will
never seal afterwards.  If you have an early model with a
single pipe exhaust and the more forward mounted transmission
mount you can slip the drive shaft out the front past the
transmission (I know. I've done it).

But if you have a later model with the dual pipe exhaust and
the more rearward transmission mount there is no room to slip
the drive shaft past the transmission and it will be necessary
to drop the differential.  (what a pain)

In any event, removal of the exhaust alone will not suffice for
removal of the drive shaft on the later models.  And if you do
remove the diff, consider replacing the diff mounts.  Also have
your drive shaft serviced professionally (use spicer U-joints and
have the shaft balanced) so you don't have to do it again any
time soon.  That's my advice.  That's what I did and I have a
rear sway bar that also need to be removed before I could drop
the diff!  But I didn't touch the exhaust (but then I didn't have
the proper tools for working on exhaust, thank goodness)

Dave (with the ever evolving TR6) Massey
St. Louis, MO, USA