Re: front suspension vertical link problems - oil?

To: Rodney Orr <rodney@mindoro.com>
Subject: Re: front suspension vertical link problems - oil?
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 1998 21:44:27 -0700
Cc: Michael Cline <mcline@c4.com>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Rodney Orr wrote:

> The manuals call for 90 weight gear oil in the trunnions, but it's been
> suggested to me by another lister that synthetic oil be used.  Any comments
> or experience out there?

Rod,
I don't know what sort of Synthetic oil you are suggesting, but as the
90 wt oil is fairly thick it would not have near the propensity to run
out as synthetic motor oil would.  I don't know of anyboddy who has
tried this, but it would seen to not be a very good idea.

This said, it has been suggested that the greases available now might be
a suitable replacement for the 90 wt oil.  Back in the 50s, 60 and even
into the 70s, the greases that were used to lubricate wheel bearings and
the sort were likely to harden and not spread out into the moving parts
of a suspension.  But todays lubricants might not have those properties
and therefore might indeed be acceptable substitutes for 90 wt. gear
oil.

My thoughts only... not for public consumption...  no warranty either
expressed or implied... some side effects may be experienced... not to
be taken when operating machinery... for external application only  etc.

Regards,
Joe Curry
--

 -- Dave Weinbaum in National Enquirer