checking for worn TR6 trunnions

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: checking for worn TR6 trunnions
From: Rodney Orr <rodney@mindoro.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 1998 23:04:50 -0600
I've done a little more digging to see what to look for in worn trunnions,
as well as receiving a couple of replies to an earlier question on this.
Len Renkenberger's "Six Tech" manual says to examine the trunnion for
excessive play by applying a "fair amount" of sideways pressure and
checking for movement.  (Mine are already off so I can't report anything
here.)

The "Triumph TR6 Restoration" (practical Classics) has a picture of badly
rusted lower threads on a vertical link, so I'd think a broken or cracked
rubber seal would be a first clue to potential rust problems.  They claimed
if the rust was bad enough, the vertical link could snap just above the
threaded section. One of my seals was cracked and the surface of the
vertical link is lightly scored, likely by dirt.

Another lister suggested checking the A-arm bolt hole for tightness -
there's no real difference between the old and new ones on mine.

Am still waiting on steering arm bolts before I can put it all back
together.  If you've not done so, I'd recommend changing those bolts - they
take a lot of stress.  One of mine was broken (which is why I'm in there in
the first place) and 2 others were definitely no longer straight.

Rod.  '70 TR6 CC55899L