Re: Clutch trouble (More Questions)

Subject: Re: Clutch trouble (More Questions)
From: Susan Hensley <susan@grotecon.com>
Date: Thu, 28 May 1998 14:18:49 -0500
Hi Kevin!

I have had the tranny out several times in the last year on the race
Spit, and it's really not that hard.  It does facilitate things GREATLY
to put the car on stands all the way 'round to get at the lower
bellhousing bolts.

You will need to undo the clutch slave cylinder and remove it from the
housing -- I left it connected to the line, but with plastic wrap over
it to avoid dust and dirt.  Undo the bellhousing bolts and the studs at
the top (about 10-12), the starter bolts (2), the drive shaft bolts (4),
and the trans mount bolts(2).  You might run into some trouble when
everything is undone, with actually getting the thing out -- mine hung
up on the drive shaft and gave me some trouble.  I ended up whacking the
shaft with a rubber mallet the first time, to break it loose from the
trans, and standing on it with my foot the second time.  I am so glad
Spits are convertibles!  I couldn't envision doing this with a roof
overhead...

The only problem I ran into when putting it all back together was the
actual lining up and getting the trans onto the engine.  My boyfriend
has the knack of sitting in the car with the trans between his legs and
pushing it into place with his feet while I lift from underneath.  He
gets it set pretty quickly, where as I can struggle with it for hours,
it seems.  This is the only part where it REALLY helps to have a second
pair of hands.  It also helps to have the engine jacked up a bit at the
removal and reinstalling times.

I hope this helps!  If you have any other questions, please let me know!

Keep Triumphing,
Susan Hensley