Oil tightness

To: <spitlist@gte.net>
Subject: Oil tightness
From: "jonmac" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 18:39:00 +0100
Cc: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
On May 26, 1998, Joe Curry wrote:

>Perhaps a better question is, "How do you keep Castrol Syntec (or any
>other oil) in a Triumph?"  My son suggested that he was going to start
>putting synthetic oil in his Mk2 Spit.  My answer to him went something
>like this, "At the cost of synthetic oil you would be foolish to run
>that until you figure out how to keep it from oiling the driveway."

(Slightly tongue in cheek)

The reality of all this broohaha about Triumphs having leaky engines can
be blamed on Rolls Royce and their aero engines. I think STI
probably recruited someone for engine development from Derby who had had
considerable experience
with a RR Turboprop unit of the 'fifties which was in the "River" group of
engines.
This was OFFICIALLY known by RR as the 'Tyne' engine (an English river) but
owing to its total loss lube system and that fact that it allegedly leaked
worse than any LBC power unit, was irreverently known as the 'Ouse'
(another English
river).

John Macartney