u-joints

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: u-joints
From: toad@nlights.net
Date: Tue, 26 May 1998 15:32:24 -0500

HM>I followed the part of the thread on the "clunk" when shifting. It happens
HM>that I have been experiencing the same thing when I shift. My Spit has a
HM>little over 60 k and it probably wouldn't hurt to replace the u-joints even
HM>it turns out that isn't  the source of the "clunk". What I could use are som
HM>tips on how to replace the 3 u-joints on the Spit (79).

The job is pretty straightforward...in theory. HOWEVER, and Joe can back
me up on this, beware of ujoints that just don't quite fit in the
housing. So far, I haven't found a brand of ujoint that really fits. As
I recall, my rear passenger side ujoint has a circlip that won't go all
the way in...the cup sticks out just a hair too much. I had this exact
same problem with the previous rear axle that I scrapped out because I
thought that the housing was too damaged to use. I think Joe actually
ground off a little of one of the cups to make his fit.

Will
76 spit on road
76 spit off road
78 Midget perpetually on hold.
59 Humber; a brake hose and spark plug wire away from running (sort of).

to:   INT:HMENTZEN@aol.com
cc:   INT:triumphs@autox.team.net
Delivered from Northern Lights BBS, Everett, WA.