Re: fly-off v fly-on (was: parking brake stuck TR4A)

To: jonmac <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Subject: Re: fly-off v fly-on (was: parking brake stuck TR4A)
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Tue, 26 May 1998 14:58:18 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Mon, 25 May 1998, jonmac wrote:

> UK spec TR4A's had fly-off handbrakes - at least, mine did and it was
> tunnel mounted too...

> Soooooooo British - certainly. Isn't that why you bought in the first
> place?

FWIW, I always truly appreciated this "quirk" in the TR3A and in a Mk.2
Spitfire I drove years back. Being able to pull the handle up without
having to hold the button to keep it from locking made it just that much
easier to use as a true "emergency" brake. Fortunately, I only had to use
it as such once in my driving career, to keep my TR3A from smashing into
my friend's Mercedes sedan in a hamburger joint parking lot. It then got
me home the last seven miles as well, without incident.

--Andy