TR6 Rear Springs

To: TR List <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: TR6 Rear Springs
From: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Mon, 25 May 1998 23:02:04 -0500
Does anyone have any advice on rear coil springs for a TR6? Vicki
British is in my neighborhood so I favor that vendor. They list the
standard spring for $66. Right next to that they have a "heavy duty"
spring set for $80. They also list a "competition spring" in a set for
$60.

Does anyone know the difference? With the current springs, the car
squats pretty bad when it is loaded for a road trip. It squats a little
just on day excursions. What I want to do is restore the normal ride
height while having a little extra capacity for all the crap the SO and
I store in the boot on road trips. Does anyone have VBs competition  or
heavy duty springs installed?

The only hint I have is the "competition springs" have and "installed
height" of 8.65 inches but I can't find any spec to compare it to. Does
anyone have a set of TR6 rear coil springs lying around? Could you
measure the free height of the spring? I'd like to compare that with
both the ones coming out of the car and the "competition springs."

Any wisdom appreciated!

Bob Allen, Kansas City, '69CGT, '75TR6

BTW: This project got it's start as a seized U-joint, inner right. I
came off the highway and heard some pretty significant squeaking once
the wind noise subsided. The seize was bad enough to stretch the
half-shaft connecting bolts. I wasn't far from a catastrophic failure.
Servicing the U-joints was always on my list to do but I kept putting it
off as it didn't look like too much fun. I was right, it ain't much fun.
Now that I have the half-shafts out, I am a little embarrassed how the
"good" U-joints look and that sliding joint is pretty dry too. I'd
advise doing this maintenance to anyone that has never gone into there.