tight steering

To: "'TR6 List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: tight steering
From: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Date: Mon, 25 May 1998 16:22:23 -0600
Listers,

I have a strange problem with my TR6's front end. It seems that when the
front wheels are off the ground, I cannot easily turn them either left or
right (ie. as if I was using the steering wheel).

So I wonder what could be causing this. As a bit of history, I have recently
replaced the outer tie rods with TRF units. I also replaced the steering
rack gaiters and cleaned (with a cloth) and greased the inner tie rods.
Prior to this work the wheels could be turned from side to side quite easily
while off the ground.

I have also replaced the steering column bushings but the "tightness" was
there prior to the bushing replacement.

I think that something is seizing in the steering mechanism. I suspect the
outer tie rods but would like to hear any other suggestions for diagnosis
and/or repair.

Has anyone else had problems with TRF's outer tie rods recently? Mine were
stamped as made in China I think (or maybe Taiwan). Definitely not UK made.
Since they have grease nipple fittings, I did grease the outer tie rods
after I tightened it all down.

Thanks for any assistance,

Peter Zaborski
76 TR6 (CF58310 UO)