water pump?

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: water pump?
From: Davgil <Davgil@aol.com>
Date: Mon, 25 May 1998 18:05:56 EDT
Hello listers,

While getting my car out for BCW and to help identify some crankcase
ventilation problems, I heard an unusual noise from up front.  Upon returning
home, I popped the hood and felt a very fine spray of coolant from the front
of the engine.  I assume that I was a little too proud of the job that I did
replacing the alternator and have put a little too much pressure on the belt.
My guess is that I have cobbled up the water pump and have a couple of
questions.

1.  Is a water pump for a '76 TR6 a complicated job or should I go for a
replacement pump?
2.  The parts manual I have for TRF shows a separate housing and pump
assembly.  Would both typically be needed.
3.  If I need to go with a total replacement, are there any recommendations
for a supplier and should I go new or used?  My inclination is to go with a
new pump or a professionally remanufactured product rather than a used part
here, but I would like to get some more experienced ideas.
4.  Are there any items that I should logically do at the same time as I
repair/replace the pump.  I don't want this to turn into a frame-up rebuild,
but as long as I'm dirty and in the neighborhood....
5.  Thanks in advance for any constructive comments

Best regards,

David Gill
'76 TR6 leaking water instead of oil at the moment.