Re: front brakes, TR3

To: "Paul Poplawski, Ph.D." <paulpop@ssnet.com>
Subject: Re: front brakes, TR3
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Sat, 23 May 1998 21:29:06 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Sat, 23 May 1998, Paul Poplawski, Ph.D. wrote:

> Have a stupid question ... if when I turn the front wheels, (actually the
> tires are off so I am turning the disks) and, without the brakes on there
> is rubbing against the pads on part of the revolution, but none on part ...
> what does this mean?  Had the calipers rebuilt last year.  Do you have a
> clue ... I am assuming this is not normal

Some radial runout is OK but there's not much tolerance.  You may want to
re-pack the bearings and torque them; they're probably worn a bit and
need to be 'fiddled'.

After that you can check the runout with a dial depth gauge mounted so
that you can get a min-max reading off the rotor.  I can't cough up the
numbers you need to know right now, maybe someone else can.

-Malcolm