Ongoing Clutch Problems Resolved

To: "spitfires@autox.team.net" <spitfires@Autox.Team.Net>, "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Ongoing Clutch Problems Resolved
From: Chris Taylor <spitfire@worldchat.com>
Date: Fri, 22 May 1998 21:32:16 -0700
To all those interested
First to all those who respsonded to my various posts
thankyou for your input.This list is one of my best resource
tools.
Background: 75 Spitfire with a clutch that does not want to
release. ie crashes into reverse and first
I started by bleeding the hydraulic system but got no improvement
so replaced slave cylinder(badly scored and leaking), still no
improvement.
Next I replaced the master cylinder(scored and wet under rubber boot)
still no joy.
Finally bit the bullet and pulled the tranny.
Result.
1)Release bearing lever lower bushing missing(replaced both bushings)
2)Lever pin was an old Allen head capscrew(replaced with correct pin and
retaining collar)
3)Slave pushrod too long and bent, I believe this was from a Midget and
was 3" long
  (replaced with correct pushrod 2-3/8" lg(thanks Bob Harris))
4) Because of the above pushrod, diaphram spring on clutch was badly
worn(replaced
    complete clutch and release bearing)
Result
Badly depleted bank account but clutch action as smooth as silk.
Most of the problems seemed to come from lost motion in the release
lever and a weak clutch spring but the hydraulics did need replacing
also.
Again thanks to all who responded to my questions and I hope the above
helps someone else having the same problems
Chris Taylor
75 Spitfire(back on the road with a smiling owner)
Burlington, Ont