Re: Rockerpanel dismantling tips

To: sharythur@email.msn.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Rockerpanel dismantling tips
From: dstauffa@csc.com
Date: Fri, 22 May 1998 10:41:03 -0700
Let me have a go at this.  I replaced my TR6's floor boards and may be of
help.

I take it that only the rocker panel and inner sills are being replaced.
Did you take the precaution to weld/bolt a bar across the door opening gap
to maintain its integrity?  Even with the floor boards in place, it is a
good idea to do this.  (yes, even if you have kept the body bolted to the
frame).

If you are using a disk grinder with a  wheel designed for cutting, that
may be the way to go.   The floor board is an integral part of the inner
sill and a smooth cut will be easier to reweld than cutting it out with a
torch and having to grind it down latter to get a even edge.  Spot welds
can be drilled out.

Hope this helps.

Dave
San Diego, Ca
1970 TR6 PI ... with new floorboards and inner sills

What is the best way to remove the old rocker panels on a TR6?
My feeling is that you would need welder of some type to cut the old one
out.  Spent the last week watching my dad remove the old rocker panel with
grind off wheel.  Needless to say it was not very efficient.  However, the
new rockerpanel and inner sill have been replaced and popriveted into place
awaiting a weld seam.  Before he starts on the other side could someone
please give us some tips.
Thanks.
Sebastien & Gaby.
mailto:sharythur@msn.com