Building TR 6 track car

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Building TR 6 track car
From: "Jim Hill" <jrhill1@facstaff.wisc.edu>
Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 10:14:04 -0600
Cc: VANDECARR@aol.com
Comments: Authenticated sender is <jrhill1@facstaff.wisc.edu>
Dean VanDeCarr <VANDECARR@aol.com> wrote:

> Three days after finishing a frame off restoration on my
> first triumph (73 TR 6) I drove it at club time trials at Lime
> Rock.  I now want to build a TR 6 track car for club events
> like autocrossing etc.  I picked up another TR 6 yesterday and
> will be getting started soon and I have a few questions.

> Does the frame need to be reinforced?

Probably - Depending on how hard and how frequently you're going
to drive the car, you'll at least want to reinforce the rear of
the frame to surround the differential. There are other weak
points as well . . .

> Where can I get speed parts?

The Roadster Factory lists a number of "speed parts" in their
catalog, although many of them need to be special ordered and
can take a long time to arrive.

As a start, you might also try:

Ken Gillanders
        British Frame & Engine
        626-443-0939

British Parts NorthWest
        4105 SE Lafayette Highway
        Dayton OR 97114
        503-864-2001

Cambridge Motorsport
        Caxton Road; Great Gransden
        Bedfordshire SG19 3AH
        UK
        011-44-1767-677969

Moss/TriumphTune
        22/28 Manor Road, Richmond
        Surrey TW9 1YB
        UK
        Telephone 011-44-1819-486666

TSI Automotive
        Ted Schumacher
        404 Basinger Road
        Pandora OH 45877
        419-384-3022

Depending on how fast you want to go and how much you want to
spend, there are MANY others . . .

> I heard about a 3 stromberg manifold.  Is this an afordable
> alternative to the 3 Weber setup?

The 3-Stromberg manifold and associated parts are sold by:

Richard Good
        Good Parts
        RR5 Box 5341
        Mohnton PA 19540
        610-777-4457

In answer to your question, the 3-Stromberg setup requires only
a manifold and an extra (cheap) carburetor. The Weber setup
requires a manifold and 3 (expensive) carburetors. Even I can do
the math!

> Does anyone have any suggestions?

For autocrossing, start with improvements to handling. Cheaper
than engine work and will produce more results. If you can't get
around corners all the power in the world won't make you fast.

Jim Hill
Madison WI
SpyderWeb Vintage Racing
AMICI TRIUMPHI