Over-heating/electrical question.

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Over-heating/electrical question.
From: Terry Thompson <tethompson@teligentinc.com>
Date: Wed, 20 May 1998 16:30:08 -0400
I know there's been a large thread going on about the over-heating issue
here this summer.  Recently, I've been having to drive my Spitfire a lot
further (40 miles/approx. a day and 100-200 miles on the weekend), and
this
90+degree weather we've been having has caught me by surprise. The temp
sensor and thermostat have been recently changed (so I'm assuming the
readings on the temp. gauge are correct). The temperature regularly runs
up to the 3/4 mark...and when idling in north. VA. traffic the temp goes
even higher.

Due to the great fear of destroying the recently rebuilt engine, I
purchased a few items in haste (including an aliminum valve cover (I
hear they disipate heat faster), and an electrical cooling fan.)
The problem is that I assumed the electrical fan would have instructions
as to how to hook it up to the electrical circuit, but the only
description in the fan instructions is "hook this blue cable up to the
power source." It's a 76 spitfire, and so I don't have a wire (that I
know of) in the harness too hook-up an electric fan relay (as they did
with the 78-80 model). Obviously, I could buy the relay, but I have no
idea how to wire it or the fan motor to the car. (Mounting the fan is
not a problem.)

Also, anyone that has a spare full-width spitfire-radiator (one that
doesn't have the wings on the sides) they want to part with, I'd like to
get one and have it re-cored. Let me know if you have one for sale and
how much you want for it. (I can't afford to go several days without my
daily driver).

Also,  anyone have any other ideas for keeping the engine running cool
(other than an oil cooler or packing dry-ice around the block?)

Terry Thompson
Heat Stroked '76 Spitfire