My recent query on unleaded fuel + 'Press Releases'

To: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: My recent query on unleaded fuel + 'Press Releases'
From: "jonmac" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 20 May 1998 19:44:51 +0100
Hi, guys
Many thanks to so many of you for responding to my query on this matter.
It's been very interesting reading your opinions - especially from those of
you who went rather further and submitted opinions / views / general
thoughts of a technical / semi-technical nature.
DON'T STOP AT THIS POINT - PLEASE
All this incoming material is going some very useful way into making up
quite a nice little article and I still want your input, especially from a
user perspective about pinking / pinging, retarded ignition settings (or
not) how ordinary valve seats have suffered / survived on unleaded yadda
yadda yadda - so keep it coming in.

OTHER MATTERS
As you'll all know by now, the partial recovery from my prolonged illness
has allowed me to get a little job at Gaydon, where I have to say I am
blissfully happy. It doesn't tax me too much and I'm with my Triumphs (and
Standards, too) so this is marvellous for me in extending the road to full
recovery.
However, things have taken another upturn on two fronts about which I can
now publicly reveal new plans.

'Press Release 1'
My very good friend, old drinking buddy and 'partner in crime' from
Berkeley Square days - Paul Richardson, has most kindly invited me to join
'Triumph Over Triumph' magazine as one of his freelance contributors. He
has asked me to submit enough material for each bi-monthly issue to fill
two facing pages. I gain the impression Paul won't get too bitter and
twisted if there's a text overrun. I've accepted this kind offer with the
very greatest
enthusiasm and there are already a number of articles underway under my
name which will ONLY be appearing in 'T.O.T.' and NO other magazine.
For those of you who are not 'au fait' with the Richardson name (and there
can't be many) I'll just say that Paul is the son of Ken Richardson who put
the TR very firmly on the world map, not only as a daily driver but as a
competition car as well. Because of this, Paul has much material at his
disposal which has never previously been published about Triumph and this
will only be appearing in his own magazine. I've got a number of ideas too.

'Press Release 2'
Alan Crussell, President of the Triumph 2000 2500 2.5PI Register has also
invited me within the last week, to become the Editor of the Register's
bi-monthly magazine, SIXappeal. Bob Wilde, the current Editor is having to
stand down for pressure of work reasons and I freely admit that taking over
from Bob and his predecessors will be a very hard act to follow. For those
of
you who are Register Members both inside and outside the UK, you have my
assurance I'll do my best. To a degree, this announcement by me is in
advance of any official statement by Alan and I believe he'll be doing the
necessary in the July edition which is being held over a bit to provide
readers with a full report on the festivities at Gaydon at the end of this
month.

John Macartney