Re: Need Help w/Brakes

To: Brad Begin <bkb@vol.com>
Subject: Re: Need Help w/Brakes
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Sun, 17 May 1998 21:33:17 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, British-cars@Autox.Team.Net

On Sun, 17 May 1998, Brad Begin wrote:

> When I brake it takes approx. 5-6 seconds after I let my foot off the
> brake pedal before the brake hydraulics start to ease off & allow the
> wheels to turn freely again.  Both front calipers are affected, not sure
> about the rear drums though.
>
> About 200 miles ago I replaced the following brake components:
> 1.  New Girling Master Cylinder.
> 2.  Rebuilt front calipers from BPNW.
> 3.  New rear wheel cylinders (Lockheed brand I think).
> 4.  New front pads, rear shoes.
> 5.  Flushed each brake line thoroughly with Prestone DOT 5 fluid.

Did your calipers get new pistons?  If they are rusty they can stick.
Although usually they just leak when they're worn out.

Are your rear brakes adjusted?

Did you put new return springs on the rear drums?  (If not, then do so-
this is the most likely cause of dragging brakes)

> All seemed just fine until symptoms started yesterday. Where do I start?
> The brake servo maybe?  Or is there something really simple I'm
> overlooking?!?

I don't think it's the servo because that would make braking effort
increase, but wouldn't cause the pedal to stick.  Simple cures:
        -The pedal might be binding.  Dribble some engine oil over the
moving parts
        -The check valve that keeps pressure up for the front calipers
might be defective.  You may not even have one, so don't bust a gut
looking for it ;-)  It's a little doohickey that goes into the 3-way
connector that spreads the hydraulics to the front wheels & to the rear
system (on my TR4 it is on the passenger side, mounted to the frame)

-Malcolm