Re: A question for Dan Masters!

To: rbacon@netcom.ca, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: A question for Dan Masters!
From: DANMAS <DANMAS@aol.com>
Date: Wed, 13 May 1998 22:48:59 EDT
In a message dated 98-05-13 22:15:35 EDT, rbacon@netcom.ca writes:

> Hi Dan, I saved your article on bypassing the hazard switch in the TR6
>  (from the VTR newsletter) and in the article, there is a drawing of what
>  seems to be the back of the alternate switch. Am I wrong or should I use a
>  6 terminal toggle on/off switch? I went to the autoparts today and they
>  have switches with 2 terminals. Should I keep looking? Am I missing
>  something?

Rick,

No, you are not wrong, you need the 6 terminal switch.  Sometimes the auto
parts stores have them, but when they do, they usually have a "center off"
position which is unsuitable for this application.  These are typically used
in a "selector" application, eg, "up" turns on the fog lights, "middle" turns
all lights off, and "down" turns on the driving lights.Your best bet is to go
to Radio Shack, or equivalent, and ask for a DPDT (double pole, double throw),
two position, switch.  With this switch, "up" disables the turn signals and
turns on the hazard flasher.  "down" turns off the hazard flasher and enables
the turn signals.  There is no "middle" position.  The switch contacts operate
as shown below:

1           2

3           4

5           6

In the up position, terminals 1 & 3 are connected, as are terminals 2 & 4.
Terminals 5 & 6 are isolated.  In the down position, terminals 3 & 5 are
connected, as are terminals 4 & 6.  Terminals 1 & 2 are isolated.  As you can
see, the switch is symetrical, so it doesn't matter which side you choose to
call up.

In this instance, "up' and "down" depend entirely on how you mount the switch.
If you prefer "down" to turn on the hazard flasher, just rotate the switch.

It is vital that you disable the turn signals when you use the hazard flasher;
otherwise, a serious circuit overload can result.  That is the reason for
using the 6 terminal switch.  If you don't, and you accidently bump the turn
signal lever, voltage is back fed through the turn signal switch to the
ignition switch, and every switched load  -- wipers, heater fan, ignition
coil, radio, etc -- that is left on will turn on and off with the hazard
flasher if the key is off.  That is the reason for the seemingly stupid
practice of running power to the turn signal flasher through the hazard
switch.

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

'68 MGBGT---organ donor for the '74