Re: brakes locking

To: " (Richard Triplett)" <rtriplett@bjservices.com>
Subject: Re: brakes locking
From: Bollen <bollen@ibm.net>
Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 17:39:01 -0400
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
(Richard Triplett) wrote:

> I've noticed a strange problem with the brakes on my TR3A, which I rebuilt
> about six months ago: When stopping the brakes will slightly hold pressure
> on the front discs, then release after moving a few feet.  There seems to
> be no noticable wear on the pads or discs,  though they do get too hot to
> touch after much stop and go driving.  I installed new lines, seals, MC,
> and pistons, and am running silicone fluid.  The discs and calipers are not
> new.  Is this normal, or cause for alarm?  All I can figure is the pistons
> are sticking, but I checked the pistons and calipers for clearnace before
> installing, oh yes, it is doing it on both sides.  Could I have a defective
> MC? Thanks in advance.
>
> Richard Triplett
> 62 TR3A
> 78 Spitfire
> 85 XJ6
I had this problem.Try removing the little spring in the three way
connector down on the frame.There is suppposed to be some residual
pressure kept in the fromt bnrakes so the pads stay close to the
caliper. When this spring gets crudded, it can hold the brake pads on,
not sure why but Dave Hagenbush at TRF told me to chuck it, which I did.
No more problem, except first braking of the day always was clunky.