RE: TRx caged nuts alternatives?

To: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: TRx caged nuts alternatives?
From: "Brent Smith" <bsmith@inetnow.net>
Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 20:17:15 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: <JAMES_S_WALLACE@HP-Canada-om1.om.hp.com>
>When reassembling the bodies on TRs, what have people done besides
 >using those nuts in cages? Or is the general consensus to use them
>again and let the next poor sucker worry about it 40 years from now?
>About 3/4 of the cages on mine had to be destroyed to get the body
>panels off so I have to figure out what I'll do.

Jim,
   Last year, I disassembled my 1960 TR3A body for the first time.  I lost a
few of the cages, and had new ones welded on by my body guy when he did the
body and paint work.  I had quite a few seized, as you do, but I recovered
almost all by heavily applying Liquid Wrench and letting it soak in the
joint.  If the bolt didn't free up easily (don't apply much torque or the
"ears" on the cages will bend out), I then used Vise -Grips across the cage
ears (the sides of the cage that are not welded down), while gently applying
more torque.  This worked in most cases.
  By the way, when I reassembled the body, I tapped and died all threads and
used Never-Seeze on everything.

Brent Smith
Atlanta, Georgia

1960 TR3A