Re: Shop costs and rates

To: Justin Wagner <jmwagner@greenheart.com>
Subject: Re: Shop costs and rates
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 12:28:59 -0700
Cc: MR SEAN F JOHNSON <RJUC40A@prodigy.com>, Triumph News Group <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Justin Wagner wrote:

> This is all true. And it's very important for enthusiasts to consider
> this when they take their car to a mechanic.
>
> Nevertheless, ....

While all this is certainly true, additional pressure and expense is
being heaped onto the small business owner in the form of Insurance
costs, OSHA requirements and environmental impact requirements.  So most
of the presumed, "profit markup" is in fact markup that is necessary to
cover the additional cost of doing business in our highly litigious and
over-regulated society.

This regulation mentality is also spilling over onto us
"do-it-yourself'ers" in the form of laws that prevent the purchase of or
use of things like nitrocellulose laquer-based paints for example.
Also, with the tightening of emissions standards, some states are making
up laws that have the effect of requiring the crushing of old cars.
This, if allowed to escalate, will make used parts and restoration
candidates much more difficult to obtain.

I for one welcome the opportunity to circumvent costly processed
historically performed by high-priced commercial shops.  Now, if someone
could only come up with a DYI home chrome kit......

Joe Curry

--

 -- Dave Weinbaum in National Enquirer