RE: insurance info:update

To: "'TR6 List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: insurance info:update
From: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Date: Fri, 8 May 1998 15:39:06 -0500
Just for comparison, a local insurance company in Calgary which deals with
"collector's cars" quoted a rate of $104 (Can) per year on an appraised
value of $10k for my 76 TR6. This is for the agreed value type of policy
(ie. my car gets totaled, I get the agreed value).

Limitations are 3000 mi/yr, however unlike the American companies' policies
(at least the ones described on this list), the 3000 miles does NOT include
mileage for getting to car events. Thus as long as I keep a log of my trips
to car events, this mileage would be deducted from my total accumulated
mileage to determine if I exceeded the 3000 mile allowance.

For example (mostly cause I am not sure if I am explaining this clearly) if
I drive a total of 5000 miles in a year, but I can document (reasonably,
they didn't sound that strict) 2000 miles used up in travelling to and from
car events, I would be ok for the year's 3000 mile limit.

They also expect the car to be kept in a locked garage, and not used for
work trips. (Not sure about "occasional" work trips as I don't drive to
work). And no parking in shopping malls etc. (I think here we just take our
chances, if you get dinged while in a mall parkade and need to make a claim
you might want to think twice about claiming).

The coverage includes $1M liability, $100 deductible collision and $25
deductible comprehensive. An appraisal from an official appraiser is
required.

I don't know if this is good or bad compared to other countries. It seems
fairly reasonable to me.

Peter Zaborski
76 TR6 (CF58310 UO)
Calgary AB Canada