Re: Wheel Studs

To: Triumph List <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Wheel Studs
From: Jay Raynis <jay@rih.org>
Date: Fri, 08 May 1998 08:51:35 -0400
Rather than trying to split a nut on a spinning stud, you could have
somebody do a quick little spot weld on the back of the plate. You still
need the stud, right?

Jay

WORKING HARDER at THINKING DIFFERENT

----------

RE: the spinning lug bolts with the lug nut still attached...been there
more than once.  The nut splitter I got from Sears wouldn't get down in
there enough to get enough of a grip to split the nut and ended up
breaking.  Sears wouldn't take it back ( they say they have a lifetime
guarantee on their Craftsman tools ) because even though it did say
Craftsman, it didn't say " Made in U.S.A."

They left me high and dry.

I've drilled through the nut ( on the TR6 style nut ) and I've drilled
through the lug bolt on the 250 style.  A real pain to do.  I've also
taken the wheel off by undoing the wheel bearing nut and reaching behind
the wheel and undoing the brake caliper.....a slightly easier way to get
to the bolt back side, but still a real pain to do.

I've also taken a chisel and hammer and just worked at splitting the
nut....time consuming and tedious, but after an hour or so, I finally won
out over the steel.

God luck!
Hugh R. McAleer
Jonesboro, GA