Re: TR4 axle numbers

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR4 axle numbers
From: Chip Old <fold@bcpl.net>
Date: Tue, 5 May 1998 23:15:59 -0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 5 May 1998, HDRIDER570 wrote:

> I was under the car tonight and found the axle number.  It starts with the
> letters "BT" and continues  "27144".  I thought that the axle numbers started
> with "CT".

A rear axle serial number beginning with "BT" indicates it has (or at
least originally had) 3.7:1 gearing.  "CT" indicates 4.1:1 gearing.

> Also the number was not stamped on the edge of the rear housing
> edge near the cover (as shown in the Moss catalog and Clymers manual) but
> rather on the top of the casting over the pinion area.  The number ran from
> the front of the car to the rear.  I checked the rear flange closly and could
> find no hint of a number stamped into it.  Does anyone have any thoughts about
> this?

I have an axle taken from a solid-axle TR4A that has the number stamped as
yours is.  Could be late TR4 axles were done that way too.  The axle in my
TR4 has the number stamped as shown in the illustrations.

Chip Old                      1948 M.G. TC  TC6710  NEMGTR #2271
Cub Hill, Maryland            1962 Triumph TR4  CT3154LO
fold@bcpl.net