Re: Got some problems solved but now have new ones

To: Nikki MW1 <NikkiMW1@aol.com>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Got some problems solved but now have new ones
From: tomomalley@hey.net (Tom O'Malley)
Date: Tue, 05 May 1998 00:27:40 GMT
Nikki writes...

>Hello Wise Ones,
>It's me again (Nikki).  Thanks to all of you that responded to my query about
>brake and oil lights that stayed on at all times.  Well I solved half of the
>problem.  The oil light now comes on when I turn the key and will go off after
>the engine starts.  YEA!!!

Well ya gotta tell us so we can help the next Nikki! :-) What was it?

> But now the bad news, the brake light stays on.
>>From what I understand of the circuit, if the PWDA is tripped then the oil
>light would also stay on.

No...the PWDA will light only the brake fail indicator.

>From what everyone has said that has been eliminated by disconnecting the
> wires from the PWDA (when I did that neither light lit up).

I don't understand why that would happen.  You might be the victim of
some DPO rewiring.  Check again to see if both oil and brake
indicators light up with ignition key in the on position but the
engine not running.

> Right now the PWDA is connected.  Any help would be very
>helpful
>TIA
>Nikki
>1975 Spitfire

Well...below is an attempt on my part to send up an ascii drawing of
the circuit.  Dunno if it'll come through with these new fangled
proportional - spaced mailreaders though. :-(

Compare this with what you see in your own hookup.  Disconnecting the
PDWA shouldn't kill the oil light.  BTW, the easiest way to reset the
PDWA is to remove the switch and "center" the spool with some small
pointed tool.

      W                        BP         _____
 +----------/\/\/\/-----------------------o   o------------------|
 12V      Brake warning   |             Brake warning            |
 Source       lamp        |             switch <PDWA>            |
 <fused>                  |                                      |
                          |                3 Terminal            |
                          |              Oil Pressure Sw.        |
                          |           WN              B          |
                           --/\/\/\/------o_____o----------------|
                               O.P.                              |
                          warning lamp      o                    |
          Anti-run-on                       |                    |
             valve                          |                    |
    NR        /\             WP             |                    |
 12V from        \/                                           -------
 Ign. Sw.                                                      -----
 "off" position                                                 ---
  only

Cheers!
Tom O'Malley in Southbridge Massachusetts
'74, '77 Spits