KARMANNs TRIUMPH projects

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: KARMANNs TRIUMPH projects
From: Gerhard.Wiederholl@t-online.de (Gerhard Wiederholl)
Date: Mon, 4 May 1998 19:16:35 +0200
Hello all,

Some weeks ago I had the idea to write to the Karmann company and ask for
information about their 1968 TRIUMPH project, the TR 6.

I didnīt realy expext much more than a polite answer from them with the
question
if Iīm crazy.....

But today I got a letter from the Karmann company with some interesting
information:

The TR 6 was a development out of the TR 5 and they had to keep floor
panels, doors and window frame. The front and rear had to be designed completly
new.

Karmann had the first design of the new TR made by GIUGIARO of Ital-Design
(This
man is also the designer of the VW Golf/Rabbit and many other cars, excuse me
if
this is hard but itīs the information).

They state that a very special thing the first time used on this car was the
spoiler like rear end which gave a better cw number and lesser lift (I never
beliefed that any designer of a TRIUMPH had cw numbers in mind).

Karmann had extra worke to do because they had to make all the drawings
with two grids. Milimeters and inch.

It became even more confusing as the Triumph company needed fractional inch
numbers and the body panel maker wanted decimal numbers(in inches).

10 TR 6 prototypes were made and shipped with primer painting only to England.

Tools for the new sheet metal were also made by Karmann.

After this they made the same job on the Triumph 2000(!?)(new front, new rear,
interior )

They also made some jobs for Jaguar like XJS cabriolet, XJ41/42
prototypes, XJS coupe facelift etc.

To me it is amazing what a great looking car the TR 6 became although it was
designed around that many given parts like chassis,  body parts, engine etc..

Gerhard

CC 31998