Re: Spitfire Fuel Flow Rate

To: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Subject: Re: Spitfire Fuel Flow Rate
From: Edward Hamilton <hamilton@ptd.net>
Date: Sat, 02 May 1998 00:28:54 -0400
Cc: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>, Mark Milotay <otmc@bc1.com>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Please excuse my post concerning the fuel pressure question by citing a source
that was not germane to the question.  I have an interest in the subject and
don't wish to be sent to the penalty box (as have so many recently.)  In my
particular case, I have a boot mounted electric fuel pump of unknown
manufacture, of unknown pressure, feeding the stock Stromberg carb.  All works
well today, but I plan to install twin HS4's this summer and have been
contemplating the fuel delivery system.  Hence, I've read just enough to make me
dangerous.
When I do the job, I plan to install a filter between the tank and pump along
with an additional one in the engine bay -- not sure if it should be before or
after the pressure regulator (which will be installed at the same time.)
>From an electrical standpoint, the pump feed (currently) is from the green lead
at the fuse block.  This appears to be 18/20 gauge wire with an in-line fuse 25
amp.  I've added a switch in the trunk, which is my modest version of an
anti-theft device.  However, I think the wire is too small and the fuse too
large.  Not wanting to "cook" my recently reworked wiring, what would the
recommended fuse size be for an electric pump?
When I find the time to perform the installation, I plan to start with 3.5
P.S.I., and shall let those interested know of  the outcome -- providing my
thrust washers are not in the sump by then.

Regards,
Ed Hamilton