body-shop practices?

To: The Usual Suspects <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: body-shop practices?
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Fri, 1 May 1998 19:22:01 -0700 (PDT)
I've dug my left rear fender out of storage in preperation for the big
Weld-A-Thon at my place.

Is it common bodyshop practice to use 1/8" (or more!) bondo?  Over the
whole panel?  That's what it feels like... Not many places I can find
where I've got metal on both sides :-(

OTOH when I finally bore through all the plastic, there's good sheet metal
beneath.

other things:  Is there a flange on the rear of the fender, such that the
fender will sit beneath the chrome of the tail-lamp housing?  Or no?  This
is one of the places where Michealangelo the Body Man sculpted the car.
As it's rusty on the back, I intend to replace w/ sheetmetal and I'm
wondering if Mike goofed up (actually, I KNOW he goofed up, but I don't
know where...)

Thanks in advance...
-Malcolm