Modifying TR oil filters

To: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Modifying TR oil filters
From: "jonmac" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 02:33:08 +0100
Hi, listers
There's been some input recently from a number of you relating to
difficulties you've had (or not) concerning spin-on filters. It seems this
relates mainly to various types of adaptors/ers you've been obtaining from
different sources?
I was having an interesting chat today to one of the former Triumph road
testers from Experimental Dept at Coventry who came with his son to the
50th Anniversary of Land Rover at Gaydon. A really good 'bash' for them,
but this isn't a 'Landie' list so I'll shut up on that aspect.
It seems that in the days when Triumph was still using a cartridge filter,
there was quite a lot of road and engine rig work researching the most
suitable spin-on type. I understand the one which was finally aproved had a
fairly thick anti-drain flap in it. How thick is thick? He couldn't
remember (!!!!!!!!) but just said it proved to be the most suitable in
terms of maintaining a full filter - especially if the spin-on, when
fitted, was horizontal or screwed into position such that it was likely to
fully or partly drain when the engine was stopped. Apparantly they tried
many different types, shapes and positions of extension with particular
emphasis for accessibility on the left hand steer 250 and 6.
So, you see, contrary to some opinion, there were occasions when we thought
of other contries apart from England and UK needs!
The different types of adaptor/er you've been reviewing - mean little to me
because I don't have that problem. I don't have a TR either -
unfortunately, but if I did, the steering would be where it ought to be
anyway, on the right side and the filter still wouldn't be a problem! I
just thought this tip might help those who are contemplating, still
undecided or just plain confused. Simply, if your spin-on is on a 'long
dangly extension' terminating somewhere near the battery, just on top of
the spare wheel or between your legs to keep you warm in winter when the
heater won't, make sure you get a filter that will retain ALL its oil and
not let it drain back to the sump.

John Macartney
Still carefully polishing the thinning cellulose . . .