TR3a serial number

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR3a serial number
From: JAMES_S_WALLACE@HP-Canada-om1.om.hp.com
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 1998 21:11:31 -0400
     Greetings,
     On my TR3a there are two number plates above the battery box. One's
     brass, but the other (upper) one is painted the same as the car's
     body.
     I looked in Piggot's "Original TR", where I saw examples with this
     plate painted, as well as unpainted. There doesn't seem to be any
     mention of it though.
     Does anyone know if there was a break point in the serial numbers
     where they switched?
     I guess the real question is whether or not to leave it on the body
     when it gets painted.
     Any help appreciated!
     Regards,
     Jim Wallace