Re: Oil cannister leak

To: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Subject: Re: Oil cannister leak
From: Ken Streeter <streeter@sanders.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Apr 1998 10:56:46 -0400
Cc: jbonina@nectech.com, blang@MIT.EDU, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Bob Lang wrote:

> On Thu, 9 Apr 1998 jbonina@nectech.com wrote:

> >      Bob, do you mean to tell me that you cannot change the oil filter
> >      itself unless the fuel pump is removed? (I'm talking about the stock
> >      set-up here)?

> Yes.

Bob is absolutely right on this one, in regard to US-spec TR6s.
There is no way to get the stock oil canister out of the engine
bay without moving something else.  (The mess involved with this,
by the way, is a good reason to consider a spin-on oil conversion
kit.)

Personally, I found the easiest way to get the stock canister out
was to unbolt the slave cylinder from the mount.  Simply unbolting
it will allow it to rotate sufficiently far out of the way to
*just barely* squeeze the oil canister out between the frame
and engine, at least if your engine mounts are in good shape.

--ken
'70 & '74 TR6 Daily Drivers

--
Kenneth B. Streeter         | EMAIL: streeter@sanders.com