Oil cannister leak

To: blang@mit.edu, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Oil cannister leak
From: jbonina@nectech.com
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 1998 08:48:44 -0400
     I've developed a leak that would make the Exxon Valdeze (sp.?) look
     like nothin'

     While my car was up in the air having the tie rods replaced I asked
     Dumbo (the ex-mechanic) to see if he could locate the leak. He said it
     was coming from the oil filter canister. He couldn't tell if the
     canister was 'warped' or exactly why it was leaking.

     Now, given the source of the information (Dumbo), and also the fact
     that 'twas HE who changed the oil when I initially purchased the car I
     think there a 2 distinct possibilities and 1 remote possibility.

     1) The canister was over tightened and the rubber seal is damaged or
     twisted.

     2) Like everything else he did, he probably didn't torque the nut
     correctly (too loose).

     3) the remotely correct answer, something IS wrong with the canister.

     Has anyone ever experienced a "bad" oil filter canister?

     Thanks dudes,

     Jeff