Re: Re[2]: Throw-out bearing (theory/operation)

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Re[2]: Throw-out bearing (theory/operation)
From: tomomalley@hey.net (Tom O'Malley)
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 1998 17:51:22 GMT
Ross writes...

>Hi Barry - Yes, I agree with you that a "properly" operating TO bearing should
>not contact the pressure plate.  That's why I suggested the theory in the
>first
>place.  If the lister's clutch is NOT set up properly, the TO bearing could be
>improperly contacting the PP all the time.  And, no, I didn't take your
>comments
>as a flame - just more info. on an interesting topic.  :^)  Cheers and best
>regards,
>
>     Ross D. Vincenti

Now you guys really have me confused...just when I thought I had the
silly thing figured out. :-)

Lemme back up a bit here and try to sort this...in the case of a
Spitfire anyway.

The slave cylinder has an internal spring that acts on the piston,
always trying to extend it.  The purpose of the spring to remove any
lost motion between the piston, clutch release lever, pivot pins,
throwout bearing and pressure plate spring.

If anything should wear and become sloppy, the internal spring extends
the piston out further, drawing in more fluid behind it to compensate.

It's a nice system because unlike a mechanical setup, it self-adjusts.

Practically then, it appears to be specifically designed to allow *no*
clearance between the TO bearing and the pressure plate springs.
The TO bearing is always lightly touching the pressure plate with the
force of the internal slave spring.

Do I have this mixed up?

Cheers!
Tom O'Malley