Re: Throw-out bearing (theory/operation)

To: "Ross Vincenti" <RVincenti@lbfc.com>
Subject: Re: Throw-out bearing (theory/operation)
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 07:43:36 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
>Gentlemen - If you think about the relationship of the throwout
>bearing to the diaphram spring, it is conceivable that the bearing
>could make noise when the clutch is not depressed.  Remember, that
>when the clutch is "at rest" (not depressed), the throw out bearing is
>not necessarily not in contact with the diaphram - it may be lightly
>touching it -
*********************************
Not to flog a dead horse, and of course just discussing this here.  No
flames, arguments or accusations of mechanical ability or knowledge
(disclaimer out of the way, whew).  But the key is PROPERLY adjusted.  That
dead area in the clutch pedal or travel BEFORE you feel the resistance of
the throw-out bearing contacting the pressure plate (typically 1/2 to 3/4
of an inch, sometimes more depending on the vehicle, at the pedal) is there
for a reason.   Every car with a clutch I've ever worked on (or driven) has
this spec somewhere, whether it's adjustable or not. (course that's not to
say I've worked on/driven every car :-}) That dead space or "free travel"
is to provide a clearance for the throw-out bearing so that it DOES NOT
contact the pressure plate, and continue to rotate while the clutch itself
is engaged (pedal at rest).  Almost every clutch pedal travel specification
(or throw out bearing) has this in the design of the system because
throw-out bearings are typically designed for (very) intermittent
operation.  Actually, from a design standpoint, why should it be designed
for continuos operation.  It's really only used during clutch
actuation/de-actuation.  To design one that would constantly be in contact
would cost a lot more, and require a bearing with a service life MUCH
greater than actually necessary.  These things do not go lightly with the
bean counters at auto manufacturers :-) 'Course this doesn't discount those
individuals that rest their foot on the pedal (and nobody on this list does
that because it's not a good idea, and why it's warned against in any car
with a clutch).

72 V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire (project)
73 Ford Courier (parts hauler, rain vehicle, getting a V6 soon!)